November 18, 2008

Suntop Homes, Built 1939

I have a family member who works with and very much likes architectural design. I tried and tried to think of a fitting handmade Christmas gift for him and was drawing a blank until it suddenly dawned on me: Why not stitch a blueprint? I did a Google search for Frank Lloyd Wright blueprints (he loves FLW) and settled on one that was simple enough that I felt it was possible for me to accomplish it but detailed enough to please the architect.


The stitching itself wasn't complicated. It's almost all backstitch in blue floss. (My husband picked the floss color for me in an attempt to get as close as possible to true blueprint ink.) How much easier can it be? Famous last words.

I cut up an old bedsheet for the background fabric, which worked out nicely. I reversed the image on my computer and printed it on photo paper, then transferred it onto damp fabric. This was a new technique for me and worked pretty well, although I had to do some tweaking and definitely learned some things for the future.


My biggest headache was struggling with fabric tension, as I was using a larger Q-Snap style frame and having some difficulty with it, and the weave of the fabric was causing my lines to look not so straight despite my following the printed lines exactly. The obsessive-compulsive side of me took over and turned this into a monster of a project, but I finally stepped back, looked at it from a distance, and pronounced it acceptable. I'm not happy with the puckering where I did the long and short stitch on the thicker lines--another tension issue--but I am certainly not redoing it. Ha!


This was definitely a nice change of pace from what I've been working on, and even though my critical eye can get caught up looking for all the flaws, when I can step back and be objective I'm really quite pleased with myself. My husband framed it in a nice black frame for me, and I printed out a Wikipedia entry that gives background info on the building, which I attached to the back of the frame. I'm hoping it will be a hit when Christmas rolls around.

11 comments:

Tweed Thoughts said...

Truly amazing! :-)

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

Saw this via a twitter link to the craftster post. AMAZING!!! Awesome!

Redhoon said...

I saw this through a link sent by a friend, and it is truly amazing! I had to post a link to it on my blog. Very well done!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Oh how AMAZING! I love it so, SO much! I found a link to this in my email tonight and wow! So creative! I'll be linking to this if you don't mind!

Muddlepud said...

Thank you so much, everyone. I am truly flattered by the attention this has gotten here and at Craftster. :)

tid bit said...

That is amazing--truly an original handmade gift!

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic idea! It turned out great.

Junie Moon said...

I saw this featured on One Pretty Thing and had to pop over to say what a brilliant idea this is. I love your project.

I'm thinking I will borrow your idea and get an architectural rendering of my husband's college (The Citadel) and do one for him for Christmas. Thank you for the inspiration and sharing your project with us.

Anne said...

That is so fabulous looking. I may have to try that for my husband.

wkropka von BILDschön said...

this is awesome!

greetings from germany
mnh